Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Points of Emphasis

Happy New Year! I have decided to start 2011 talking about a variety of topics that I see in the strength and conditioning world. My philosophies are a result of many hours of extensive research as well as 10 years of real experience with all levels of athletes. I plan to post these often over the next few weeks, so here are the first 2.


1. Get Stronger (big suprise huh)



It is the universal answer for almost every training related question I get.



How do I get faster? Get stronger

How do I stop getting hurt so much? Get stronger

How do I burn fat? Get stronger

How can I put on muscle? Get stronger



And so on and so forth.



In case it needs to be said, get as strong as possible WITH GOOD TECHNIQUE. Lifting too much weight with poor technique is the answer to this question......How do I get hurt during my off - season? DON'T GET HURT IN YOUR OFF-SEASON.


2. Some athletes won the genetic lottery...... many did not.



I have said this before....Lebron James could train at Curves and probably still be a tremendous basketball player. He is a genetic freak.

To keep it basic, there are two types of muscle fiber: fast twitch and slow twitch. Predominately fast twitch people lift lots of weight, run fast and jump high. Slow twitch people can run forever, but it take forever for them to get going. Although everyone can train to become more explosive, you cannot take a predominately slow twitch person and make them fast twitch.

Some people are just genetically blessed with lots of fast twitch muscle fiber. They are the kids who stick out in the 6th grade basketball game because they are naturally faster and more explosive then the other kids. Of course your neighbor who played Division 1 football and played in the NFL has a son who is the fastest kid on the block............ HIS DAD WAS FAST! The kid is blessed with the same genetic makeup. It's not fair, but it's reality.

Sure any kid can get bigger and faster with proper training. However, I am sorry to tell you that your 17 year old son who works very hard to run a 4.9 40 is never going to run a 4.5 Its just not in the cards for him.

If you are not a genetic freak, I am not telling you that you have no shot of getting a scholarship. Some genetic freaks are lazy and the rest of their peers catch up to them when they are in high school. I am just telling you to be realistic. Work hard, improve your skills, but also accept the fact that you won't have 36inch vertical and a 4.4 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment