Monday, February 7, 2011

My Apologies

If you walk into Soar Fitness between 1 and 2 pm, there is a good chance you will catch me reading a book or watching a DVD. I am obsessed with finding the best ways to improve my athlete's strength and reducing their risk of injury. I am never satisfied that I am doing the best job possible because I know that I don't know everything. Five years ago, I was a good strength coach that didn't know half of what I know now. I will admit that over the years, I have made many, many mistakes in the training of athletes and general fitness clients. As a result, I feel I need to get a few apologies off my chest.

1. I apologize to any client that I ever had stand on a swiss ball. Yes it was fun and challenging, but also really stupid. Getting stronger in the squat rack will bring much greater results then circus act style training.

2. I apologize to the many athletes that I had strap on a pair of Jumpsoles and perform the "X - Treme Plyometric Workout". Yes, It was hard, and fairly productive. It also got you in great condition. But, it also ignored basic progressions and involved way too much volume. Had I have known then what I know now, we would never have done that stuff.

3. I apologize to the athletes that were put through tons of obstacle courses. Again, great conditioning, but more for show then actual speed and agility instruction. It looked cool, was definitely fun, but pretty much a waste of time on a week after week basis.

4. I apologize to any person who watched me do curls in a squat rack during my college years. Hey, I was young and stupid! If I could go back in time, I would make fun of myself.

I am sure I owe some more, but this is at least a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment